Dec 052017
 

Most of the time I access my home NAS via samba shares. For increased security and performance I force it to use SMB v3 protocol. And therein lies the issue.

Whenever I tried to access my NAS from Linux Mint machine using Caja browser, I would get the same error: “Failed to mount Windows share: Connection timed out.” And it wasn’t connectivity issues as everything would work if I dropped my NAS to SMB v2. And it wasn’t unsupported feature either as Linux supports SMB3 for a while now.

It was just a case of a bit unfortunate default configuration. Albeit man pages tell client max protocol is SMB3, something simply doesn’t click. However, if one manually specifies only SMB3 is to be used, everything starts magically working.

Configuring it is easy; in /etc/samba/smb.conf, within [global], one needs to add

client min protocol = SMB3
client max protocol = SMB3

Alternatively, this can also be done with the following one-liner:

$ sudo sed -i "/\\[global\\]/a client min protocol = SMB3\nclient max protocol = SMB3" /etc/samba/smb.conf

Once these settings are in, share is accessible.

  8 Responses to “Solving “Failed to Mount Windows Share””

Comments (8)
  1. Thank you! I’ve been trying to fix this on my Ubuntu machine for days now!

  2. After a full day trying to setup Samba to access Win10 (with no success) I was setting up Gigilo as an alternative and found your configuration for SMB3. This now allows both Samba and Gigilo to work perfectly. Many thanks.

  3. Your solution is great. I found this after days of research. Thanks a lot!

  4. Tried for ages to fix this, your solution works fine. Now all that is needed is for sombody to fix Samba.

    Richard

  5. Saved me ! I was having trouble accessing a share on windows 10. Thanks!

  6. Millions of thanks, i searched everywhere tried every solution non worked for me except this one. now i can access my drive on win10

  7. Thanks man, this saved me. My issue was that I had used the same linux machine to access my remote shares on an old win7 without any problem but faced this error after my remote host was upgraded to win10

  8. Works!!!my was working and stopped, now is working again thanks!!!

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.